Search This Blog

Friday, December 16, 2016

Movie Review: "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" Starts Slow But Ends with a Bang (Spoiler Free)


After taking in "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" last night, I had to let my feelings about the film actually settle before I wrote my review. "Rogue One" is the story of Jyn Erso and a crew of rebels assembled to steal the plans for the Death Star from the Galactic Empire. The film itself started out slow and could be boring for fans of the saga. It is the second half of the film that will get you excited  for the film.

I will not spoil what happens in the film but you can certainly say that the saying, "expect the unexpected," holds true. "Rogue One" is a great beginning for the Star Wars standalone films. You will not be disappointed when you go see this film. Once again Disney and LucasFilm have done it again after last year's success of "The Force Awakens." I came away so impressed on how they did this film and where they took the storyline. 

I had low expectations going into the film since it had nothing to do with the main storyline of the Star Wars saga. I came away with high expectation to see what they will do with the next standalone films after this one was so well done. It's going to be interesting where they take the next one in the story of a young Han Solo.  

My favorite characters were definitely Baze Malbus and Chirrut Imwe, what a duo that played their characters so well. I believe that "I am one with the force, the force is one with me," will be one of the most quoted lines of the film. Their friendship showed through to the end of the film as Baze guided his blind friend into battle against the Galactic Empire.

Overall, I'll give this film 4 out of 5 popcorn bags. It was a great beginning for the Star Wars standalone films. As I said though if the film had carried through with an exciting film throughout the whole film, it might have been my favorite Star Wars film. Alas though with its great second half, "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, will be another great success at the box office. 

No comments:

Post a Comment